Top 10 Most Dangerous Foods For Dogs
Submitted by Jason on Sun, 06/28/2009 - 16:34
- Chocolate & anything with caffeine especially dark chocolate contains theobromine which is similar to caffeine. This is a very dangerous substance to dogs. If you know that your dog has eaten chocolate take it to the vet immediately. If your dog eats a very small amount of chocolate, usually it only causes digestive issues.
- Onions & Garlic contain sulfoxides and disulfides which damage red blood cells and cause anemia. Onions being the most toxic of the two, however garlic should be avoided as well.
- Grapes and Raisins have a toxin that effects dogs kidney function and causes kidney damage and can lead to kidney failure.
- Macadamia & Other nuts contain toxins that effect the digestive system, nervous system, and muscles.
- Mushrooms effect many areas of a dogs body. They can cause shock and even possibly death.
- Large Quantities of Liver results in Vitamin A toxisity and effects muscles and bones of the animal.
- Human Vitamins Containing Iron damage dogs digestive system wall lining, kidneys, and liver. Be sure to use a vitamin supplement designed for dogs.
- Milk & Other Dairy Products have lactose and many dogs don't have enough lactose enzymes to effectively break it down. This effects the dogs digestive system and leads to diarrhea.
- Raw Eggs contain an enzyme known as avidin which restricts the absorption of biotin, one of the many B Vitamins. This can lead to an unhealthy coat and skin problems. Also eggs can carry salmonella which is poisonous to dogs.
- People Food should be avoided at all times. Many people foods have far to many fats, sugars, and salt. Salt causes electrolite imballances in dogs. Sugars are not a natural food and causes obesity, and large amounts of fat and protein can't be digested correctly and causes digestion problems, pancreatitis, as well as liver disfunction.